Saturday, October 1, 2011

Largest insects that ever lived

The largest insects that ever lived are members of the extinct dragonfly-like order Protodonata, which means “early dragonfly.” The name “griffinfly” has been proposed for members of this order because important differences distinguish them from modern-day dragonflies. Protodonata’s fossil record ranges from the Late Carboniferous to the Late Permian periods of the Paleozoic era. This was about 300 million years ago, before the dinosaurs, which evolved during the Mesozoic era.

The largest known species is the Late Permian Meganeuropsis permiana, with wingspans longer than 75 cm (30 in. or 2.5 ft) and an estimated weight of over 450 g (1 lb.), similar to a crow. This is larger than any insect that has ever lived, land- or air-based – the heaviest insect today is the larval stage of the Goliath Beetle, with a top weight of 115 g (4.1 oz). As the Late Carboniferous Meganeura is a species of similar size to Meganeuropsis and is much better known, the information in this article will primarily focus on Meganeura.

2 comments:

Much appreciate you sharing this

Hi in the summer of 1996 I was working out side on a job at Nottingham university and me and my friend had this huge dragon fly hover over us it was the size that is seen in the pictures, my friend and I was scared so in reaction my friend hit it with a crow bar which knocked it to the floor it shakes around as my friend hit it over the head/neck we then heard a click as if it shook its bone back in place, it had a slit tongue pure green patch eyes it’s whole body other than it’s wings was dark green, it looked like a snake and it’s wings were clear with dark brown leaf pattern it’s wings was as big as what is seen at top of the page, I have been trying to find my old friend to ask if he remembers that day as I have told many people and they don’t believe me lol it’s mad but it’s all true, anyway just thought I’d tell you

 

Home | Blogging Tips | Blogspot HTML | Make Money | Payment | PTC Review

Interesting facts you didn't know © Template Design by Herro | Publisher : Templatemu
Real Time Web Analytics